POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : to litle precision ? : Re: to litle precision ? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: to litle precision ?
From: Slime
Date: 7 Aug 2002 21:48:02
Message: <3d51cdd2$1@news.povray.org>
> 2. how about generate 2 binary distributions of POV - second executable
> file will have extra accuarity (by cost of speed) ?

What you've described sounds to me like a floating point accuracy issue.
This is likely not a cause of speedups, but rather the fact that at some
point a number becomes too small to be held in whatever data type they're
holding numbers in, so it gets rounded to zero, which causes problems. Since
it's a floating point accuracy problem, and there are no *approximations*
occuring here, there's no way to sacrifice speed for accuracy.

As you've discovered, uniformly scaling the scene to be larger (thereby
bringing the numbers farther from zero) can sometimes help. (Of course, if
you scale *too* large, the same thing happens the other way around - numbers
too big to be held accurately.)

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]